Thank God for the Internet!

July 14, 2001. Seven-fourteen-twenty o'one.

I was only thirteen back then. I remember coming home from school one fine Saturday to discover we finally had my own computer all set up and ready in the room. It was a real delight, like a little child who got the greatest thing she ever wanted, right in front of her eyes. This box of wonders, primarily intended for all my high school research assistance, held the key to everything I wanted back then and more. I can finally do away with the typewriter, play those wacky games, and sit in front of it contented and couldn't care less about the rest of the world just clicking, typing and exploring away.

And of course, the Internet. It was a fabulous realm on the upswing with endless possibilities that I have not discovered yet, but have been very curious of. I cannot imagine why many of whom I knew confessed to having been totally transfixed by it, fazed by its awesome power. With buzzwords like "website", "email", and "chatting", I was determined to see the glory of it myself. That afternoon, armed with a 3-hour internet dial-up, I scrambled in on the Internet craze. But being the technology novice that I was, those three hours were consumed running in circles around Yahoo.

Two weeks later, I became an Internet addict.

I finally knew why everyone's raving about it. It was the answer to everyone's nagging question, a sort-of Holy Grail of every imaginable kind for every imaginable inquisitor. It offered a smorgasbord of wonders, catering to every interest, whim and fancy. It had virtually everything you could ever ask for, and more! I could've sworn the Internet is the greatest invention ever.

For the first few months, I roamed around current affairs sites & forums -- as that was my 'thing' back then. It was a relief that many others share my thoughts and feelings about stuff that happen in this crazy world. I voiced out my opinions on certain issues, and people would welcome them and share their own. Some topics were mild; others were very much a debate room for would-be lawyers and pundits! Aside from all the news discussion, we also let loose over off-topic items such as hobbies, films, and the occasional relationship talk. It was a generally friendly atmosphere, and I learned & enjoyed a lot. I still drop by on the politics forums once in a while and check out what they're heckling about :)

As you would a hyperactive teener with short attention span, I shifted my main interest from news to writing. The Internet, I could say was where I actually honed my skills as a writer. I joined a writing site that helps budding literati to test the waters, write and publish their works over the site to gain exposure and be able to receive constructive criticism. I posted some of my scribbles, and the first comments I received were not so good. The other members probably figured I was just starting out with those amateurish attempts. Here was another community who embraced fellow writers however diverse their works and sensibilities were, treating each one with respect. They helped out in revising works out for the better, encouraged people in tapping their inner Dickens or Shakespeare and crafting magnificent prose or poetry through little contests and challenges, opened writers' minds about subjects that they weren't initially keen on and give it a spin of their own. They were very concerned about each member's progress, and even if I didn't really know the people behind those pen names, I felt their warmth and sincerity in bringing out the best in oneself.

Apart from pursuing a so-called writing 'career' on the Net, I also diverged in the world of music, movies and anything in between. Listening to my favorite music has never been easier with peer-to-peer file sharing, finding out what's a good cinematic experience takes only a simple search, and knowing that you're only one degree close to your crush is such a lovely thought. While on those doldrums with nothing else to do, I'd simply browse the web, and not long after find another treasure.

I simply love the Internet. If I were stuck in an island, I bet I'll be fine with only food and an Internet connection! Sometimes I'd even get 'withdrawal symptoms' for not accessing the web for one day! There's something very alluring about the Internet, that even if you access the same site many times over, you'll always end up with a different experience. Must it be a pending reply, the breaking news, the hope of finding something new and cool? To me, it's everything! :D

The major driving force right now for me on why I've kept a solid relationship with the Internet is blogging. An offshoot of writing, it came both naturally and accidentally to me. I started with a personal website around 2002 that featured the essays I've written, but since it was hard to maintain I switched to making an online journal, a relatively new thing back then, and it became a repository for my works. Little did I know I'd be talking my heart out to the world about the most mundane of things a year later. I read other people's blogs one time and became so impressed by them, that I decided to start my own personal blog. I had set up about a dozen blogs in entirety, but only maintained a couple up to the present -- still talking about the most mundane of things, yes -- and ready to dash out bits of life, madness, and perhaps love on the side...

There is no doubt that the Internet has made life easier and the world smaller, but more than that it has become a force for mankind. It is a harbinger of communication & harmony and a tool for development & growth, among the many purposes it serves. It is constantly changing my life in a lot of ways. It made me become more aware of the world, and helped me express myself and gradually overcome my self-doubts about my capabilities as a person; to be respectful and open to many views and personalities, to seek out new friends and establish my relationship with the dear ones I have.

To say that the Internet has become a part of my life is no cliché. I can even come close to saying that I live and breathe the Internet! I couldn't imagine the world without it. Our existence wouldn't be so thrilling and fun, I swear. My peers must certainly feel lucky to have the Internet born in this era, as with all other techno gizmos... we are the consumerist generation, after all!

The Internet has been my no-miss daily activity ever since -- my ever dependable schoolwork assistant, my provider, my bridge to people far and wide, my babysitter, my awesome CIA to all the guys I've ever had a crush on, my storage room, my confidant to angst-ridden rants and raves, my caffeine to all those boring insomniac nights, my invisible but lovable best friend.

I can say I'm very different now from what I was on that fateful July afternoon... I am at present a confident, competent woman ready to face the world.

Thank God for the Internet! :)

No comments: